Healthy Food for Beautiful Skin
Did you know most anti-aging creams or other novelties in a jar are not only expensive, but less and less based on actual science? Instead of spending over $200 for an overnight cream in a 2 ounce jar, start looking into how healthy food can improve your skin.
Lifestyle is important, not the amount of money you spend on products. “The things you can do to beautify your skin are remarkably similar to what you can do to strengthen your heart, control your weight, lift your mood and live longer and better.” So, let’s get on the same page shall we?
The top five foods to improve skin resiliency, tone, complexion and overall health are:
1. Whole Grains – benefit: clear and moisturized skin. Grains instead of processed food can clear up your complexion tremendously.
2. Nuts (especially almonds) – benefit: young and soft skin. Nuts are primarily antioxidants. Vitamin E combats skin-aging free radicals, holds moisture (relieving dryness and making skin look younger). Almonds, pistachios and walnuts also contain a ton of omega-3 fatty acids which is another amazing skin nutrient.
3. Red and Green Vegetables – yes, eat your veggies it will make your skin bright and smooth! Carrots, sweet potatoes and spinach are the real winners in this category because they are full of beta-carotene which is converted to Vitamin A (an antioxidant) and, in turn, can give you anti-acne benefits as well.
4. Citrus Fruits – benefit: smooth and taut skin. Citrus fruits are a primary ingredient in most beauty creams and aid in the body’s production of collagen (think taut skin, not saggy and old!)
5. Oysters – smelly, but good for meeting your omega-3 fatty acid and zinc requirements to give you smooth, clear and glowing skin. Yup, you’ve heard of the “Mediterranean diet” and it works! Increasing omega-3 intake actually decreases inflammation which directly correlates to older-looking skin. These fatty acids can also keep the heart’s arteries clear, increasing circulation which is also crucial to skin health.
While beauty in a jar may seem like an easy fix, a cheaper and much healthier way to go is to include some of these ingredients in your daily diet. Eating the right food will make your body glow from the inside out!
CEO/Special Effects Salon & Spa