Ever wonder how great it would be to put all of your favorite foods on your skin instead of sending them straight to your belly? Not in the sense of slapping a peppermint stick on your face or rubbing chocolate all over the place, of course, but in a therapeutic and fun-filled way? After all, with the wrapping, bowing, shopping, running around and family get-togethers, everyone deserves a treat during the holidays. Let us share a special treat with you!
After some research, we decided to turn three holiday favorites into more than just a few tasty morsels…we changed peppermint into pizzazz, chocolate into cashmere, and apple into amplify! Join us as we take you on a tour of our holiday lineup:
- Peppermint – peppermint oil is amazing for your hair, giving both a cooling/tingly effect while removing dandruff and lice. For your skin, peppermint contains menthol which also gives a cooling effect while nourishing dull skin/improving oily skin.
Peppermint also blends well with other essential oils including eucalyptus, rosemary, lemon and marjoram – mix some together and set up an aromatherapy bath to ease away your holiday stresses!
- Chocolate – chocolate is chock full of beneficial qualities, mainly due to its anti-oxidant properties. Here are a few tidbits about chocolate:
- It promotes softer skin due to the presence of cocoa butter
- It can smooth out wrinkles
- Chocolate prevents free radicals from causing damage to skin’s elastin, other proteins and collagen
- It nourishes the skin
- It can exfoliate dead skin cells and regenerate new ones
- It’s a good moisturizer
- It rejuvenates the skin
Do you want your skin to feel like cashmere? Try a chocolate treatment from your local spa and feel the difference today!
- Apples - If you love apple pie during the holidays and are thinking of how on earth an apple can change the quality of your skin…then follow this simple recipe for an added glow!
Apple Pie Skin Polish
Apples contain malic acid, an exfoliating enzyme that is useful for removing dead skin cells and surface dirt. Gather the following ingredients:
1 tbs brown sugar; 2 tbs granulated sugar; 1tbs fresh apple puree or apple sauce & 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Mix all ingredients, stirring well. In the bath or shower, apply scrub to skin in a circular motion, using a washcloth, bath gloves, or a loofah sponge. Pay special attention to rough spots like elbows, heels, and knees. Rinse well and follow with a rich body lotion.
Special Note: If using on the face, omit granulated sugar. Brown sugar is a more appropriate choice for the delicate skin of the face because it dissolves more easily.
So, whether you’re dressed to impress, wrapped up in tinsel, or covered in lights, you can still de-stress with some simple ingredients even Santa would enjoy!
Happy Holidays from all of us here at Special Effects!